Gesher Jewish Day School is seeking a full time Director of Facilities and Operations for our dynamic team. Gesher is a JK – 8th grade Jewish community school in Fairfax, Virginia. We have creative, inspiring teachers, an administration dedicated to professional growth of all faculty and staff, and a highly supportive board of directors.
The Director of Facilities & Operations is responsible for the oversight of all campus and facility operations on our large 28 acre wooded campus. Gesher grounds also include a garden, hiking trails, vernal pond, and meadow. Reporting to and following the direction of the Head of School, the Director of Facilities and Operations is responsible for the oversight of all building and facility operations, including facilities & grounds, maintenance services, food service, transportation, auxiliary services and programs (i.e. facility rentals, campus programs) and project management.
At Gesher, we prioritize the cultivation of relationships which foster support, respect, and collaboration. The Director of Facilities and Operations is a critical partner in the Gesher community experience. The Director of Facilities and Operations reports to the Head of School, and works in collaboration with professional and lay leaders.
What we seek:
- Experience and expertise in facilities and maintenance operations, project management, event operation logistics and compliance with safety regulations
- A leader, proactive in managing and prioritizing multiple projects and needs around the building, and with our vendor services (maintenance, security, landscaping, transportation etc) as well as non-tuition revenue streams (ie: facilities rentals).
- A team member and strong communicator, comfortable interacting with staff, students, vendors, and community members
- A strategic thinker, with a passion to support the educational mission of the school
- Coordinator to oversee and manage campus sustainability programs and initiatives including oversight of the energy management system
What you will Bring to the Job:
- Commitment and dedication to the maintenance and safety of the facilities and grounds
- An ability to oversee and manage all contractors and vendors
- Strategic planning in facilities maintenance and the ability to detect issues, coordinate routine upkeep and repairs for the building, playground equipment, parking lot and property
- Coordination of operational logistics at events (security, transportation, maintenance)
- Knowledge of managing building renovations and projects, including those under local, state and federal grants
- Effective and consistent communications within the Gesher community of all maintenance, construction, and public safety projects and related issues
- Commitment to the School’s needs as demonstrated by readiness to respond 24/7/365 as reasonable and necessary
- Ability to implement and train staff on safety policies and procedures and liaison with Jewish Federation’s Secure Communities Network, government agencies and local police department
What You Will Receive:
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace. $70k-$85k per year commensurate with experience
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance and flexible spending account options, retirement plan, Life and AD&D insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability insurance, and generous vacation/sick time.
- A team atmosphere and job satisfaction knowing your part of the team that makes a meaningful impact in the lives of children and families across our community.
- Facility/building/property management, construction management, and/or plant engineer (preferably in an educational setting) for 5+ years
- Fluent in English; working knowledge of Spanish preferred
- Well-organized and timely
- Sound judgment and the ability to think quickly during emergencies
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to set and manage departmental budget
- Must have an understanding of building codes and cost estimating, ability to read and interpret construction and engineering documents, e.g., blueprints, construction drawings, specification and shop drawings, and manufacturer maintenance manuals
- Knowledge of regulations and laws
- Personal experience in a technical trades (plumbing, carpentry, mechanical, electrical, roofing, HVAC and/or other building trades) preferred
- Strong skills and demonstrated experience with Microsoft office and/or Google suite
Gesher Jewish Day School is committed to equal employment opportunity and will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, and physical or mental disability, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.